•BISEXUALITY IS NOT A PHASE
•FEMINISM IS NOT ABOUT BEING BETTER THAN MEN
•RAPE IS NOT ENJOYABLE
•SEXUALITY IS NOT A CHOICE
•ANXIETY IS NOT “CUTE”
•EATING DISORDERS ARE NOT A BODY TYPE
- high school boy: omg that girl my age is wearing a skirt above her knees, oh god I can see kneecaps????
- high school boy: omg giRLS HVAE KNEESCAP????
- school administrator: shit shit
- high school boy: bUT I HAEV NEECKAP
- school administrator: no don't look don't think about it ok just keep walking
- high school boy: I AM PERSON, HAEV KNEEPCAP, GIRL HAVE KNEECPAP, GIRL ARE PERSONS?????????
- high school admin: fuck shit shit no-
- high school boy: /explodes
I just finished watching the entire El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera episodes. Gotta admit it was good coming back to the show after a LONG time since I last watched it, which was around 2008 when it was soon to be cancelled unfortunately. It’s such a shame that it never got any more episodes because this is a genuinely funny and well animated show. It saddens me to finish this all up given I always felt bad for neglecting the show when I was younger due to be afraid of people knowing that I watched it or even liked it, despite always enjoying any time it came on. I remember fondly of going to my basement, turning on the small TV to see the whacky adventures of Manny and Frida, and while it was a show for kids, it appealed to me given I was 13 when the show was on. It was really relatable and I loved every little moment, Once I forgot about keeping up with episodes (which is kind of a trend I do with all shows unfortunately) personal and big changes in my life caused me to forget about it all together up until a week ago! I honestly regret missing these episodes, and it was a GREAT boost to my spirits watching it again. This show is REALLY funny, being that a comedian directed 85% of the episodes helps too. There is a lot of heart and family values that make watching it so engrossing at the same time. And the art and Hispanic culture showed off is also what makes it so refreshing too, pleasing visually and opening the doors to another culture which I think more shows and movies should do.
I should note that I did start with the pilot episode and worked my way up. It was nice to watch while I had these few days off college and work to have a good marathon while balancing out other things such as art and movies I bought and my Octoberfest.
Now I’d like to present my top 10 BEST El Tigre episodes! Because why not right? These are the episodes in which I loved from beginning to end, had me in attention and had me DYING of laughter or in tears from the feels. You may not agree, but that’s just how opinions work right? Enjoy!
10. Fool Speed Ahead
9. Eye Caramba
8. The Cuervo Project
7. La Tigressa
6. The Pilot (Note, I know the Pilot would be edited into “A Fistfull of Nickles”, but the original Pilot episode was a GREAT introduction to the world of El Tigre, along with fantastic uses of Ennio Morricone’s score and the Horror of Dracula theme, it’s so rad!)
5. Enter the Cuervo
4. The Grave Escape
3. The Good, The Bad, and The Tigre
2. Tigre + Cuervo Forever
1. No Boots, No Belt, No Brero
Can we just take a minute to appreciate how diverse the character designs for El Tigre were?
And these were just the boys! Go check out Mexopolis’s deviant art for more amazing character designs for El Tigre and other projects.
Not to mention The Book of Life was directed by Jorge Gutierrez (mexopolis).